Already years behind schedule, the U.S. Postal Service announced another delay in its efforts to award a more than $6 billion contract to replace its fleet of aging mail trucks.
The Postal Service told Trucks.com that it expects to reach a contract with one or more of the teams bidding for the business in the federal government’s second fiscal quarter of 2021. That works out to the first quarter of next year.
Previously the agency said it would award the business early this year but then pushed it back to the end of 2020 because of the COVID-19 pandemic. It missed several targets for awarding the contract in 2019 and 2018.
“Amid continuing COVID-19 concerns, and in order to provide for capital investment activities and required approvals, the program schedule has been revised and a decision is now planned for quarter 2 of fiscal year 2021,” the Postal Service said in a statement to Trucks.com on Tuesday.
Multiple teams of vehicle manufacturers once competed for the contract but many have dropped out over the years. Currently, there are three teams. They had a deadline to submit their proposals in July, at which time the agency said it would start to evaluate the plans and launch negotiations.