SPRINGFIELD – Four people were sent to the hospital early Friday as a precaution after they were exposed to a chemical spill at the U.S. Postal Service Network Distribution Center in Indian Orchard, a fire official said.
Dennis Leger, aide to Fire Commissioner Bernard J. Calvi, said firefighters were called to the facility on Fiberloid Street just before 12:30 a.m. for a reported chemical spill.
He said approximately one gallon of an industrial-cleaning chemical containing oxalis acid was spilled at the facility. Exposure to oxalis acid can cause respiratory problems, and as a result, the scene was considered a hazardous materials emergency.
The Massachusetts Department of Fire Services Haz-Mat Team was called to the scene to assist.
The four people who were closest to the spill and potentially exposed were all brought to the hospital to be evaluated, Leger said.