1. Vehicles. The Postal Service has more than 227,000 vehicles, one of the largest civilian fleets in the world.
2. Competition … and collaboration. The Postal Service competes and collaborates with the private sector. UPS and FedEx pay the Postal Service to deliver hundreds of millions of their ground packages, and USPS pays UPS and FedEx for air transportation.
3. Affordability. For 49 cents, anyone can send a letter, regardless of geographic location, to anywhere in the United States.
4. Secure. U.S. Mail is protected by more than 200 federal laws enforced by the Postal Inspection Service, one of the nation’s oldest law enforcement agencies.
5. All heart. USPS is at the core of the $1.4 trillion U.S. mailing industry that employs more than 7.5 million people.
6. Zero. The Postal Service receives no tax dollars for operating expenses and relies on the sale of postage, products and services to fund its operations.