Bill McInerney had been delivering the mail in Hamilton Beach and part of Old Howard Beach — including the business district in Coleman Square — for only a year now. But he has made a lasting impression.
Roger Gendron, president of the Hamilton Beach Civic Association, recalled how, when his aunt was ill and staying at a cousin’s house nearby, McInerney knew about it.
“He started delivering her mail to my cousin’s house — and he did it automatically,” said Gendron. “No one asked him. Where do you find that anymore?”
So, when he found out last month he was going to be transferred to a new route, the mailman began to say goodbye to residents.
That’s when the packages hit the fan.
Up in arms over the transfer, scores of residents started posting messages on the civic association’s Facebook page.
- New Postmaster General Is an Expert Job-Killer
- The Postal Service collapse that isn’t happening
- Caroline County family finds nearly $1M in cash in middle of road
- The US Postal Service now has 5,000 employees in quarantine and only enough cash to last through September
- HEROES Act Provides Relief for Postal Employees